Nearly 30 states, and the District of Columbia are considering marijuana law reform legislation this year, including bills that cover legalization for adults, decriminalization, medical marijuana and hemp. Some states have a variety of reform bills simultaneously pending such as Arizona which is considering legalization and decriminalization, and Pennsylvania which is considering legalization as well as medical marijuana legislation. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- 8 states are considering outright legalization.
- 7 states are considering decriminalization legislation to make marijuana a civil offense.
- 7 states are considering a couple versions of marijuana law reform legislation.
- 5 states have medical marijuana bills pending.
- 1 state is considering hemp legislation.
Click here to see if your state is one of them, and to encourage your local representatives to support any pending reform bills. Be sure to keep checking NORML’s Take Action Center to see if your state has joined the list, and to contact your elected officials!